CROP Hunger Walk – 3/5 and 3/6

CROP Hunger Walk

Contact:

WHAT: CROP HUNGER WALK 2011

WHEN: Saturday, March 5, and Sunday, March 6, 2011 (Trinity’s Youth will walk on March 6)

Saturday Registration at 9:30 a.m.; Walk begins at 10:00 a.m.
Sunday Registration at 1:45 p.m.; Walk begins at 2:30 p.m.

LOCATION:.
Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park
6614 Blue Bluff Rd.

PURPOSE: To raise awareness and funds for international relief and development, as well as local hunger-fighting.

WHERE DOES THE MONEY GO?
25% of the money raised locally stays locally.  The remaining 75% helps to support the overall ministry of Church World Service, especially the grassroots, hunger-fighting development efforts of partner agencies in some 80 countries. CROP Hunger Walks help to provide tools of hope that empower people to meet their own needs.  From seeds and tools, wells and water systems, to technical training and micro-enterprise loans, the key is people working together to identify their own development priorities, their strengths and their needs — something CWS has learned through some 60 years of working in partnership around the world.

LOCAL AUSTIN BENEFICIARIES OF THE 2010 WALK INCLUDED:
Capital Area Food Bank
Mt. Olive Baptist Church Food Pantry
Dolores Catholic Church Food Pantry
Imani Community Church (AME) for Fishes and Loaves
Refugee Services of Texas- Austin Office
St. Andrews Presbyterian Church for Food Pantry and Shower Ministry
Urban Roots for gardening project

WHO RAISES THE MONEY?
Local faith and civic groups of all kinds are invited to create WALK teams. CROP Hunger Walk raises money through individual walkers’ pledge forms.  We want YOU to walk with us to help end hunger.  There is not a minimum required for participation.  We do, however, encourage everyone to try to raise at least $100 from family, friends and neighbors.

WHERE IS THE WALK?
Walter E. Long Metropolitan Park (6614 Blue Bluff Rd. off Decker Lake Rd., near Travis Country Expo Center)

OUR HISTORY:
The CROP Hunger Walk is a partnership between Church World Service (CWS) and Austin Area Interreligious Ministries (AAIM).  This is our 32nd Walk in Austin!  There are thousands of CROP Hunger Walks held all over the U.S. every year to raise money for hunger, with Austin ranking among the top 6 successful CROP Hunger Walks in the nation!  In 2008, with 2000 walkers we raised $139,000, and in 2009, we raised $132,000.

CROP Hunger Walk
is an annual nationwide event sponsored locally by AAIM.  Twenty-five percent of the funds raised stay in Austin to support food needs in local agencies.  The rest go to more than 80 countries to alleviate hunger worldwide. Austin has consistently ranked among the top 6 cities across the U.S. in CROP Walk fundraising!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Austin-Area, Trinity and tagged , by Trinity UMC. Bookmark the permalink.

About Trinity UMC

Trinity United Methodist Church is not a church that has all the answers, but we do know the source of our hope, healing, and love. Your continued participation is welcome as we seek to serve God through each other, our community, and our world. Please feel free to contact us if you have any questions or would simply like to talk. Trinity United Methodist Church is a dynamic community of people, who through their trust in God's faithfulness, strive to provide an inclusive, joyful, loving, and caring environment. In this community, people can find spiritual nurture and growth, mutual support of individual needs, and a sense of family. Reaching out through vital and creative worship, people-centered programs, and social and environmental stewardship, this congregation serves the local and global communities.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s