If you have a special place in your heart for kids and are interested in helping develop new ways Trinity could help “be the change” in our public schools, then please consider representing Trinity at this upcoming workshop, “Rethink Community – Engaging in Our Public Schools”, put on by the Austin District UMC. Email Amy at email@example.com if you are interested!
Saturday, October 8 – 9:00 am – 12:30 pm, FUMC, Austin
“Let us consider how to provoke one another to love and good deeds.” Hebrews 10:24
Each $11 registration fee per person will ‘complete’ one UMCOR education kit. You may pay at the door.
Schedule for the day:
9:00 am Sign in, snacks and browsing of resources provided by area agencies and organizations
9:30 Plenary to address learning schools’ needs, highlighting facts and urgency of our current crisis, a testimony from a leader and participant from our SPARK pilot program (Summer Program Art and Reading for Kids) and encouraging your own congregation to engage.
- Working the Justice Angle on behalf of students and schools
- Engaging the Political Process
- Grade level literacy: helping students read and succeed
- Stopping the School to Prison Pipeline
- Mentoring with children of prisoners
- How to interact with troubled schools
- How can churches help teachers, counselors, nurses and administrators
- Emotional needs of kids in trauma
- Friendraising: motivating your church, neighbors and friends to get involved